The Road to Mastery

A life of training and development was not my first choice. It was never on my radar as a calling. But that's what happened. During a very pivotal moment in life I came to enjoy the responsibility of leading and managing a training organization. It took several calamities that I won't go into and a lot of soul searching to get to this point. In my pursuit to join the world of learning and development one thing I realized is that I am not the Training Official I want to be because I don't know how to be one. I don't know how to be one because the job has changed drastically (for the better, of course). This research showed me how far removed I still am from the rest of the corporate environment. Industry requires several specific prerequisites in hard and soft skills. To that point, I'm open to input from across the world on what it takes to be an effective ID'er. Here are a few links I've found for myself as a start:  

Tom Kuhlmann, Instructional Designer

This is a personal blog by Tom Kuhlmann, an instructional designer with over 20 years of experience supporting clients world wide with their training development goals. His personal blog includes links to several other resources that can help new and veteran ID'ers. The page is visually appealing and relational. Tom uses a layout that give me home office vibes. It works though. In all the searching I have done, this blog is one that does not overwhelm me with information. It's a straightforward blog that is packed with quality content for those looking to build a name for themselves in ID.

Instructional Design Groups on Facebook 

The above link connects to the access page for a Facebook community devoted to Instructional design. This group and others like it have been powerhouses of useful information to me already. Joining Communities of Interest is always an ideal way to stay abreast of relevant news and events.

Devlin Peck, Instructional Designer

In my quest to gain mastery in ID, I came across this world renowned leader in the field. His brand spans from social media to his personal webpage. He has a library of material that ID'ers can use to refine their skills and learn new ones. As I continue down this road, Devlin Peck's resources are going to be a major contributor to my future success.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

Fitting the Pieces Together

Connectivism